Here you can find easy-to-understand (hopefully) instructions to set up a remote desktop connection.
1. Create an account on
2. Follow the instructions and confirm your email.
3. After that, go to the My Account page.
4. Click on Manage Hosts.
5. Click on Add Host Service.
6. Click on Add Dynamic DNS Host.
7. Enter a hostname and choose a domain to create an address such as nickmaslon.ath.cx or mc2.mine.nu, whatever catches your fancy. Leave whatever appears in the ip address box and ignore the other options.
8. Now comes one of the tricky parts. If you have a router (meaning that more than one computer share an internet connection), continue on. If not, skip steps 9-15.
9. Log in to your router. This is accomplished by typing the router's ip address (usually http://192.168.1.1/)into the address bar of your web browser.
10. Look for a tab that says something like "Port Forwarding," "Routing," or "Gaming."
11. Look for a Port Forwarding option.
12. Type 3389 in both the start and end port boxes.
13. Click on your Start Button. Click Run. Type cmd and hit enter.
14. type ipconfig and hit enter. Copy your ip address into the ip address box on the port forwarding page.
15. Check the box to enable the forwarding rule. Save the changes and close your router's configuration.
Windows XP Windows Vista (coming soon)
1. Right-click on My Computer.
2. Click on properties.
3. Click the Remote tab.
4. Check the box next to "Allow users to remotely connect to this computer."
5. Click OK.
6. Download the DynDNS Updater here.
7. Unzip and install the program.
8. Open the Program.
9. On the info tab. click settings.
10. On the group tab, click add.
11. type group 1 in the box and click ok.
12. Enter your user name and password that you created on dyndns.org. Click download.
13. Check the box next to the domain name you made. click ok.
14. Click the connections tab. Click the button next to local area network. Click ok.
15. Click the options tab.
16. Click the install service button and then ok.
17. Place a check next to the enable automatic update option.
18. Change the checking interval to 5 minutes and the force update to 20 days. Click OK.
19. Restart your computer.
20. Your computer is now set to accept Remote Desktop Connections. You can open remote desktop by going to start -> run -> and then typing mstsc in the box and then click ok. Alternatively you can right click and save this launcher batch file. Run the file to start remote desktop. Then type the domain name of your computer in the box (such as nickmaslon.ath.cx) and click connect.